Sunday, June 20, 2010

Good bye strongman.

You did read that right. I am hanging it up as a potential strongman. I have been contemplating it for a while. I could site many valid reasons why I'm quitting, but the bottom line is that I just don't want it anymore!

Several weeks ago in an unrelated conversation an friend of mine said "maturity is when you have nothing to prove". What a statement!. for the last 4-5 months I have been asking myself why I was still pushing for this. I have come to the realization that I was doing it because it was cool and I was trying to prove I could still compete. And for what? It is kind of funny when I put it in those terms.

When I consider it logically the time, effort, money, and pain just are not worth it anymore. I already have hamstring and shoulder injuries I may not fully overcome. My wife and kids are young and I don't want to beat down my body for selfish reasons. Bottom line - the desire is gone.

When I write that there is still a slight pang of sadness, but no regret. I tried it on a novice level and my record is 1st, 2nd, 1st. I love the sport and may even compete again, but I'm not making that any goal to train for or anything like that. The flip side to the sadness is relief that I'm not putting that pressure on myself anymore.

I am still going to workout, but with a different focus. I want to lose several pounds and get into great, healthy condition. I want to enjoy lifting as a hobby without the pressure. I want to enjoy being active with my wife and kids for a long long time. As my wrestling coach use to say "fitness for life".

Thanks to anyone who followed my random thoughts. God-speed to anyone pursuing their fitness dreams and goals.

2 comments:

Marti said...

Hey babe. Quite the news for me to read when I'm away. Can't wait to see you.

Alan said...

Way to go Buddy! Great thoughts and motives - you have my full support. Sorry I didn't call the other week; I was in a wedding that day. We'll talk soon...